Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Form and Style in Philippine Paintings

Juan Luna

I saw this mural at the National Museum. It is called the Spoliarium by Juan Luna and it is the painting treasure of the Philippines.




Felix Resureccion Hidalgo
I think this is the other one opposite it by Felix Resureccion Hidalgo and it is being restored by conservation artists. (I need to check if this is the one when I go back there.)






Fernando Amorsolo
These paintings by Fernando Amorsolo are so dreamy and it is what I think best shows the Philippines.




but there was one done by Mr. Amorsolo which bothered me. You can also see this in the National Museum.







Carlos Botong Francisco


The stations of the cross in Don Bosco Mandaluyong were done by this great painter from Angono and I wonder if there is any effort to conserve them if they are the originals. The stations and the large mural of the crucified Christ are left exposed to the elements in the humid chapel.


There are many other great Filipino painters but I just want to focus on one who I really like. His name is Joey Velasco and sadly he died a couple of days ago. He painted this one which really bothered me.

We have been displaying Joey Velasco calendars at home for the past two years and I even gave away some for Christmas to my teachers. Too bad there won't be anymore of them.

Rest in peace Joey Velasco!

No comments:

Post a Comment